The development of the Margaret River Surfers Point precint, including the Margaret Rivermouth and the Riflebutts Reserve, will upgrade infrastructure through a $1.24 million grant from the Australian Government. This funding, through the second round of the Regional Development Australia Fund, will boost the $5.49 million partnership investment between the Australian Government, state government and Shire of Augusta-Margaret River Council, in Western Australia.
This project provides strong support for the existing tourim industry and expects to boost tourism numbers by 117,000 visitor nights and an extra 18,500 day trip visitors. This is expected to increase annual visitor spending by $17.54 million and create an estimated 34 jobs.
The upgrade to support Western Australia’s prime surfing destination will include:
- improved parking and recreation areas, pathways, fencing, new deck and beach access stairs
- retaining wall construction
- lookout spots and major roads across the three focus areas
- faster internet services and additional facilities, and
- further promotion of the Margaret River pro surving tournament.